Italy is one of those countries that steals your heart from the moment you arrive. Italy isn’t just a country of food, art, history, and love. But, Italy is a state of mind, a feeling that encompasses you, a feeling that can’t be described. Whether it is the history of one of the greatest empires that captivates you or the cuisine that ignites your taste buds; Italy has something for everyone and undeniable is a country you will return to.
On a personal level, Italy is much more than a destination in my travel book. Florence was my first international trip that fueled my desire to see the world and experience the vastly different cultures this planet holds. Rome was the first international trip my parents traveled on when they came to visit me. Seeing the look on their faces after experiencing Rome in real life (versus me explaining it to them over technology) was indescribable.
Throughout the years of traveling, Italy has been romanticized and continues to stalk my daydreams and bucket lists, it is a country that everyone deserves to visit at least once in their lifetime, if not multiple times. I volunteer to be your tour guide. I have started the Ultimate Italian Bucket List for those that are traveling to Italy.
This is a #bucketlist that keeps on growing, so if you have anything to add to it, let me know!
The Ultimate Italian Bucket List:
- Eat gelato. Every flavor. Every destination. ✔️
My girl, Katy did it properly whenever she traveled to Italy. Click the photo to check out her amazing photography skills from her travels around the world (drop a little comment and tell her I sent you over there, I’m curious to see).
- Eat pizza. ✔️
Obviously. One of my favorite pizza places in Italy is every single one of them. Haha, but if you are in Florence check out Pizza Gusto!
- Eat pasta. ✔️
I mean, the three main food groups: gelato, pizza, and pasta. It is a must.
- Get lost in the rainbow on the island of Burano ✔️
- Toss a coin into the Trevi Fountain ✔️
- eat pizza in Naples
- Skinny dipping in Lake Como
- Watch the sunset in Positano
- Rent a Vespa around the Almafi Coast
- La Carnival in Venice ✔️
- Walk the steps in the Roman Forum ✔️
- Wander through the Colosseum ✔️
- Climb to the top of St. Peter’s Basilica ✔️
- Take a cooking class in Italy ✔️
- Sip on Chianti wine in the Chianti region
- Vogue through the Galerie Vittorio Emanuele ii in Milan ✔️
- Watch the sunset on the Ponte Vecchio ✔️
- See the Statue of David in Florence ✔️
- Look at the Sistine Chapel (you’re not allowed to take photos, so it lives on in my memory) ✔️
- Run through the streets of Pompeii
- Cefalu, Sicily
- Fall in love in Verona (with gelato) ✔️
- Ride a gondola in Venice ✔️
- See Venice before it disappears ✔️
- Cinque Terre
- Witness the making of Murano glass ✔️
- See the inside of the Duomo in Florence ✔️
- Eat bolognese in Bologna
- Eat pesto in Genoa
- Explore Turin
- Go to Trieste for an afternoon ✔️
- Hike the Dolomites and Mt. Etna
- Get lost in Trastevere ✔️
- Sail the bluest waters in Sardina
- Eat pizza and gelato on a bridge in Venice ✔️
- Buy leather in the San Lorenza Market ✔️
- Sit and listen to a street musician ✔️
- Order one of everything off the menu
- Learn to cook a real Italian meal without speaking English
- Rent a bike in a small town and bike to the early morning market
- Take a ferry from Bari
- Reggio Calabria (tip of the boot)
- Leuca (heel of the boat)