To my surprise, it wasn’t cold, grey, wet and snowing in Helsinki when I went in July. Honestly, I didn’t know much about the Scandinavian capital. But, I was ending some travels around the summer in Stockholm and I figured it’s a short flight over to its neighboring Nordic country so why not.
24 hours in Helsinki, Finland
From what I learned & what I wished I knew at the time, Helsinki is not about sights and structures. It has to do with experiences and becoming a part of the Finnish culture. While you are spending time in Helsinki or neighboring cities try relaxing at a Finnish spa, or de-stress at the sauna, get your nerd on in one of the exquisitely designed libraries, embrace the coffee culture and devour the taste of the Nordic capital. Helsinki is the World Design Capital.
Highlights of Helsinki
- Helsinki Cathedral
- Uspenski Cathedral
- Temppeliaukio Church (Rock Church)
- Old Market Hall – Vanha Kauppahalli
- Suomenlinna Sea Fortress- UNESCO World Heritage Site – about 20 minutes via ferry away from the city $5 euros
- Walk down the Esplanade Park
- Senate Square
- Marvel at the Art Decor architecture
- National Library of Finland
- Try a Finnish sauna or spa
- Eat traditional Finnish food
Until next time Finland ✌🏽