The Great Wall of China
The Great Wall of China: Things to Know
Facts about Mutianyu:
Hours: March – November 07:30-18:00 // November to March 08:00-1700
Price: Adults: 40 CNY (according to today’s stock market = $6.05 USD)
The Great Wall of China: Top Tips
- Go EARLY! Arrive at 7am!
- For all those night owls, this is one of the few times that I can promise you, you will not regret! For those photographers, make sure you pack an extra battery because if you go early in the morning you are not only beating the crowds, you will get stunning light.
- Plan to spend some time.
- Not only is it the longest wall in the world, but it is a destination that needs to be experienced. You will want time to explore, walk around, take photos.
- If you have a small group with you, hire a driver or taxi service.
- Take the cable car up and the toboggan down.
- Bring cash (or Yuan).
- Depending on how long you spend, bring a snack! There aren’t many (if any) food options on the wall/very close to the wall.
Being the savvy and financially responsible individuals we are, we opted out of the expensive tour guides and made our own itinerary. Our journey to the Great Wall of China started very early in the morning. A brisk, cold, cold morning.
What we did:
- We walked to the metro and headed towards Dongzhimen.
- Then found our way to Bus 916.
- We got off at North Street (Beidajie).
- From this point, we hired a driver (there are many available since this is common to do). This was one of the best decision we made! Not only was our driver the cutest and full of historical facts and stories, but it made the drive a lot less boring.
And, of course! You have to slide down the wall. Because it is amazing. And, why not.
Have you been to the Great Wall of China? Tell me about your experience!